Mark 14:27-31
"27 And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.
28 But after that I am risen, I will go before you into Galilee.
29 But Peter said unto Him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I.
30 And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny Me thrice.
31 But he spake the more vehemently, If I should die with thee, I will not deny thee in any wise. Likewise also said they all."
"Likewise also said THEY ALL."
Jesus predicts the desertion of His disciples and the denial of Peter, to their faces! This highlights the tension between human frailty and divine sovereignty. During the Last Supper, Jesus quotes Zechariah 13:7, prophesying that He would be struck as the shepherd and the sheep would scatter, indicating that fear would cause even His closest followers to abandon Him.
Jesus offers a promise of restoration in verse 28, stating that after His resurrection, He will go ahead of the disciples to Galilee, signaling that their temporary failure would not end their fellowship or mission. This promise serves as a foundation for hope, showing that divine grace supersedes human weakness.
Peter vehemently declares his loyalty, insisting he will not deny Jesus even if he must die, a stance echoed by all the other disciples. Jesus responds with precise foreknowledge, predicting that Peter will deny Him three times before the rooster crows twice that very night, demonstrating that Jesus’ omniscience encompasses even the disciples' impending failures and self-deception.
For reflection:
Reflect on Jesus' prediction of Peter's denial. What does this mean to you and your faith?
Comments
Post a Comment